Monday, March 26, 2007

Maybe Next Year

Lena had had enough of her party. Frankly, her guests made her a little nauseous.
She was allergic to chocolate, so that ruled out her birthday cake. Lena didn’t get the Roboraptor, Wild Hunters 1884, or the LEGO Millennium Falcon- things she had explicitly expressed interest in. Instead, she got clothes two sizes too small or 3 sizes too big, creepy dolls, and DVDs you can buy at Walgreen’s in the bargain bin.

Though they showed no signs of leaving, her party guests had to leave. NOW. At the top of her lungs, Lena bellowed,

“RELEASE THE CLOWNS!!!”

Lena’s guests audibly gasped as Trixibelle and Clapper danced into the room, replete with garish red frizzed-out hair, orange rubber noses, huge shoes, and multi-colored satin jumpsuits. They honked horns, blew kazoos, belched, hooted and hawed, laughed hysterically; all the while they furiously made balloon animals.

Guests quickly located their keys, shushed their crying children and made excuses to Lena about their early departures as they made their way out:

“I think I left the oven on.”
“I forgot I have a doctor’s appointment.”
“My Halitosia Vulgarus is flaring up.”
“My corns are killing me.”

Lena held the front door open, thanking one and all for the best birthday ever.

No comments: